Arsenic pollution occurs due to high concentrations of arsenic in deeper levels of groundwater. It occurs naturally but causes many serious problems for all living beings. This occurs due to the excessive use of deep tube wells for water supply in the Ganga Delta.
- To make water pure and making it usable for different purposes.
- Sources of exposure
- It is highly toxic in its inorganic form. People are exposed to elevated levels of inorganic arsenic through drinking contaminated water and using this in many different purposes.
Global Overview of Arsenic Contamination
The presence of Arsenic (As) can be propagated affectively into the groundwater system because Arsenic in groundwater and aquifer is mobilized. Arsenic level has been documented which reveals a very large range from less than 0.5 to 5000pb covering natural arsenic. Arsenic is removed by many techniques. Major techniques are
- Biological Arsenic Removal.
- Arsenic pollution in groundwater is a serious problem for all living beings.
- The government should monitor industrial and agricultural activities leading to Arsenic pollution.
- The supervision department should increase the frequency of sampling and analysis of the discharge from Industrial plants.