- To lessen, control and prevent the air pollution
- To establish the central & State Board in order to implement the Act.
- To authorize the Boards to implement the Act provisions and assign to the Boards functions regarding pollution.
Boards under this and their structure:
- Water(Prevention & Control of Pollution) act 1975.
Powers and functions of Central Board:
- Central Pollution Board:
- The Central Board’s main function is to implement legislation made for the betterment of air quality and to minimize air pollution.
- The Central Government is advised by the Board on matters regarding air quality improvement and activities are coordinated too.
- The Board provides guidance and technical assistance to State Boards and draws up standards for air quality.
- The Board collects and disseminates information in respect of matters regarding pollution of air.
- State Pollution Control Boards:
- The State Boards have the authority to advise the State Government on an affair regarding air pollution.
- They have the right to examine at all rational times or give commands to take important steps for air pollution prevention.
- A State Board may establish one or more laboratories to examine air pollution in different areas at any interval.
Important provision of the Act:
- To declare pollution control areas.
- Permitting the Boards to limit air pollutants emission.
- Inspection, entry power, taking analysis, and samples.
- Restricting certain industries.